Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sharing

Okay, so this will be a VERY long post. Our vaca to Cuba.

We arrived on the island at midnight, Friday. It was a very small airport, much like the one in Sydney, CB. It didn't take long to get through to the buses that took us to the resort. The ride on the other hand was 1 1/2 hrs long, so by the time we got our room keys and up to the room it was 2:30 a.m. Saturday.


Got up and after eating headed to the beach. So beautiful!! The water was bath warm. We were so tired from trip that we fell asleep on the beach. Thank goodness for sunscreen. SPF 60 and then 30. We used up the entire tube over the week. Weather was beautiful the entire week, between 30 and 32 all week. Very little rain and what did fall, fell overnight. We did get a burn but only on the last day. We both have an awesome tan though. Jealous??










Food was wonderful and very tasty. My only complaint is that by the end of the week, we were kind of bored of the same kind of thing every day. When we landed in Toronto, we headed straight to Wendy's for a burger and fries. Tasted AWESOME!! All in all though, it was better than we expected.

We went on three excursions...coco beach - a lobster dinner with live cuban music and tons of dancing. Food was good but I do prefer east coast lobster above all others. The bathrooms at the restaurant were across the street and you needed to get the toilet paper from the man standing outside. He also had to come in a turn on the water so you could wash your hands. The point was to get tips. I needed to pee so bad that I ran off the bus and didn't have anything to give him. He gave me paper that time but at the end of the night when I went to pee he just stood outside waiting for a tip and when I didn't give him one, he didn't give me paper. I ended up waiting until I got back to the resort to pee. I don't mind tipping but I don't appreciate the withholding of toilet paper for a tip.

On the way to Coco beach we stopped to see the flamingos, take some pics and stretch our legs. We arrived at the restaurant to musicians playing cuban music and dance lessons. We enjoyed WATCHING the dancing. The music was wonderful but we don't dance! On the beach side of the restaurant, people we set up to sell handmade jewelery and trinkets. I purchased some turtle shell earrings, a bracelet and a couple of rings.


























They called this trip COCO LOCO. We found out later the reason for this...they filled fresh coconuts with as much rum as you could drink and kept filling them. By the time we ate everyone was VERY happy. I couldn't start mine, let alone finish it.

We went to Playa Bonita - arrived by catamaran, did some snorkeling, had a seafood lunch and then laid around the beach for a couple of hours. This beach is stunning. The water was crystal clear and bathwater warm. We both ended up getting burned on this trip because the water was so nice and the ride on the catamaran was so nice, we didn't re-apply the sunscreen as often as we should have. Was worth the pain though.

We also went into the city of Camaquay, pronounced Camaway. Very interesting and this is where you see the poverty. These pics were taken on the bus on the drive into the city.

We stopped along the drive to use the washroom (again, no paper) and tour around an old horse powered sugar cane mill.


The beggars were very aggressive and they were everywhere. They are so used to tourists coming around that they know where the next stop is and were there before we arrived. This I couldn't handle. I didn't like being touched or pestered after we said that we didn't have anything for them. I wouldn't go back into the city. We are glad that we didn't take the kids because I would have been very nervous having the kids there.

On this tour we saw the inside of a
very old catholic church with actual
catacombs underneath. This pic is of
the bones of a young woman and a baby.





We visited the city's revolution square. It was built to celebrate Camaquay's winning the Cuban version of the olympics. Castro gave the opening speech and awards. The town hall is across the street and the communist party offices are underneath the monument. We were not allowed below but could take pics of the statue and etchings.





















Castro's face is everywhere. Despite the communist threat, the people are very hospitable and proud of their country. They want change but make due with what they are given and have.


We visited a clay potters home and gallery and were able to purchase some clay pots. We also visited an outdoor bar with a live band. Lunch and supper were included and were both good meals. The show at supper was cuban music with dancers in costume. They were really nice to watch. So beautiful.


Overall the outings were worth the effort and not that expensive. I am glad we did them and got all we could out of the trip.

One big thing about Cuba that you cannot avoid are the BAD roads, and when I say bad, I mean TERRIBLE. Some of the holes in the roads were so bad the driver had to slow the bus down to a crawl in order to pass them. I didn't see one speed limit sign and the bus driver was flying. At times we came very close to the passing vehicle and kind of freaked me out. The horn is going constantly. Either at other cars, people or animals. Everyone moves out of the way of a tourist bus. You don't mess with the tourists!!!

We would definitely go back again but not right away.

I know I am forgetting alot of details and will share the info with you when it comes back to me.

Me

4 comments:

  1. You look FANTASTIC! Really beautiful and a wonderful vacation to top it all off!!! Pics are great. So glad to had a good time.

    You look nice too, Karl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tlhanks for sharing the pics. It looks beautiful and so glad you had a great time and saw alot. Awesome bathing suit and beach wear!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O yeah, I am panda 1914 and I am not going to be getting my good reads from Lisa as she is now high tech. I was cursing high tech as it is not lender friendly. Her site wanted me to sign in again and would not accept my last "nuggles" Had to change my name to get on her site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a great trip Kar :)

    ReplyDelete